Friday 5 December 2014

Friday's News



This week we started are 15 Days of Giving.  For Day 1 we were to tidy a neighbour's classroom.  I have been really sick this week and was away the first day of our 15 Days of Giving.  When I came back on Tuesday it was reported to me that my students had told the class that had cleaned our room that they didn't' do a good job.  I know.  Enter shock and horror face here.  So needless to say we took a lot of time Tuesday morning talking about how much thought and effort goes into doing a good deed for someone and why it's important to show appreciation.  I asked them how they would feel if the other class had responded the same way, and of course they said their feelings would have been hurt.  I challenged them to make this right and hope our little chat sunk in.   

It's these little life lessons that don't come in the curriculum, but are so important to teach. 

Needless to say the rest of our 15 Days of Giving have been a blast.  


I think our favourite part of the 15 days of giving was making these cute cards for a retirement home. My students loved colouring and decorating them.



Our next big news is that we will be preforming Stone Soup for our Holiday Show.  Our students have been hard at work getting our play and props ready.  I have to say I really like the way our signs and car have turned out for the play.  

We also decided to use this play to make our own stone soup.  Each student brought in something to add to the soup.  We cooked it up and then all sat down at lunch to enjoy it together.  Not gonna lie, was one of the most memorable moments of my teaching career.  You see many of my students come for homes that struggle to put food on the table.  I heard one little boy shout, "this is the best meal I have ever had".  It will now be a tradition in my classroom because of that comment.



And lastly, TGIF!!!!!  Anyone else feeling like this???



Happy Friday everyone!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the opportunity to link up. I have never done 5 for Friday but will make a point to start in the new year.

    Christina
    Hanging Around In Primary

    ReplyDelete